top of page


What states accept my Ohio Concealed Carry License?

The states in red accepts the Ohio ccw license. Be aware that laws in other states apply to you when you’re traveling in that state. It’s your responsibility to know and understand those laws!

What should I do if I’m pulled over by the police when carrying my handgun?

WARNING: A handgun should always be carried safely and securely. It should be carried so it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. If you are planning on carrying a concealed handgun while driving, have your concealed carry license and another piece of valid government identification in your possession.

If you are pulled over while carrying a concealed handgun, you should remember the following:

  • Before the officer approaches, roll down your window and place your hands in plain view on the steering wheel.

  • Calmly tell the officer that you have a license to carry a concealed handgun and that you have a handgun with you. Ask if the officer has particular instructions concerning the handgun.

  • Do not touch or attempt to touch your handgun unless specifically told to by the officer.

  • Do not exit your vehicle unless specifically told to by the officer.

  • Comply with all lawful orders given by the officer.

Can I carry my handgun to work?

Yes you can…

Employers, business entities, property owners, public and/or private employers are not permitted to establish or enforce a policy that prohibits a concealed handgun licensee from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition on their property under certain circumstances. For this restriction on employers and property owners to apply, several conditions must be met: 1. the firearm is in the vehicle while the licensee is physically present or, 2. the firearm and ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box or other enclosed compartment or container within the vehicle and, 3. the vehicle is in a location where it is permitted to be.

Statutory Reference: ORC 2923.1210


This law does not apply to Federal Government Property


If you work on a Federal Government property, such as (Wright Patterson Airforce Base)

 you can not carry or store your handgun in your vehicle while on that property!

Does my prescription of Medical Marijuana affect my Concealed Carry License?

You can not own a gun if you have a Medical Marijuana Prescription!!!!!!!!!!!

As you know, Federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3), prohibits any person who is an "unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)" from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition. Marijuana is listed in the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule I controlled substance, and there are no exceptions in Federal law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such use is sanctioned by State law. Further, Federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 922(d)(3), makes it unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance. As provided by 27 C.F.R. § 478.11, "an inference of current use may be drawn from evidence of a recent use or possession of a controlled substance or a pattern of use or possession that reasonably covers the present time."

Therefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition. Such persons should answer "yes" to question 11.e. on ATF Form 4473 (August 2008), Firearms Transaction Record, and you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to them. Further, if you are aware that the potential transferee is in possession of a card authorizing the possession and use of marijuana under State law, then you have "reasonable cause to believe" that the person is an unlawful user of a controlled substance. As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question 11.e. on ATF Form 4473.

ATF is committed to assisting you in complying with Federal firearms laws. If you have any questions, please contact ATF's Firearms Industry Programs Branch at (202) 648-7190.

Arthur Herbert
Assistant Director
Enforcement Programs and Services

Please reload

bottom of page